Electricity is one of the most important parts of our lives. We use it to power our homes, industries, offices, and all kinds of appliances.
It helps us do many things like washing of clothes, cooking, preservation and others.
However, there are many ways it can be dangerous to you or your family.
For example, an electrical shock can occur if you touch a metal object that is in contact with electricity. These shocks can be dangerous and sometimes lead to serious injury or death.
To save you from such danger, we present to you an article on ways to prevent electrocution.
What is an Electrical Shock
An electrical shock occurs when the body comes into contact with the live current. This leads to the current passing through the person’s tissue.
Electric shock can be dangerous for both adults and children because of how close they are to the ground.
When the current flows through your body, it causes muscle spasms or your heart to stop beating for a few seconds.
That’s why it’s important to keep people away from these currents by closing all electrical panels and by using GFCI outlets.
The Dangers of Electrical Shock
Electricity can pose a serious danger when you come in contact with it. it sometimes leads to serious injury or death.
Learning how to prevent the dangers will do you a lot of good.
Causes of electric shock
- Damaged cords
- Wrong wiring
- Faulty appliances
- Electrical appliances and outlets come in contact with water.
- Lighting strike
- Down power line.
How To Prevent Electrical Shock
Keep your outlets and appliances away from water
Water is a good conductor of electricity. When you install an outlet or plug in an appliance in a wet area like a bathroom, currents may flow through the water and electrocute anyone that comes in contact with the water.
Install GFCI Outlets in your kitchen and bathroom.
A Ground fault circuit interrupter protects you from electric shock by tripping OFF when it detects an electrical fault.
Ensure you install it in your kitchen and bathroom to prevent Ground faults.
Be Careful when working on appliances with capacitors
Capacitors store electricity and are found in appliances that use motors such as air conditioners, microwave ovens, refrigerators, and others.
This electricity helps the motor to start by giving it a boost at high voltage and can also cause a shock even when the circuit is OFF. Ensure you discharge the capacitor properly before working on it.
Always use insulated tools if you must work on electricity.
Insulated tools protect you from coming into contact with metallic conductors that can cause electric shock. Ensure you always use it for maximum protection. Also, wear your insulated gloves to protect yourself from electric current contacts and slippers or shoes to break the direct contact with the earth to your body before working on electricity.
Check for faulty wiring
Wrong wiring can lead to many hazards, including fire outbreaks and electrocution. Ensure your house wiring is up to date. Also, use a circuit breaker as it controls the amount of current that flows on a circuit.
Fix Extension and Cord Problems
Never use an extension cord that is damaged, it may cause an electrical accident. Also, do not overload your extension cords beyond their maximum amperage, as it may lead to a power surge.
The first step to preventing electrical shock is to make sure your house is safe. Be sure to use caution when working with electrical wiring or any other electrical source.
Test all outlets with a voltage tester to ensure there is no electricity running through them.
If you have a GFCI outlet near you, use it every time you cook or do anything around water.
About author of this post
My name is Emmanuel Nwankwo, a commercial electrician with six years of work experience. I am the CEO of mariaelectricals.com, a platform where I share my experience with electricians and DIYERS.